In the spirit of contribution, collaboration and community, I am pleased to bring you this, the first of many partnership interviews with experts I love and trust to improve the value of your home.
Buying In A Neighborhood That Is Ideal For You
Only you know what is ideal for you. Go into your search for a new home armed with good information.
Here are some ways to determine that you are buying in the right neighborhood:
• Become an expert on the neighborhood that interests you. Really get a feel for it by attending open houses, walking the streets, spending time in the coffee shops and restaurants and visiting local points of interest.
• You see improvement being made in the area. During nice weather months look for painting, re-roofing, replacement windows, new fences and decks being installed. This shows that the homeowners have pride in their homes.
• Attend a neighborhood block watch meeting. If the neighbors are organized, that shows a sign of a tight community. Also, subscribe to the neighborhood newsletter.
• There is easy access to public transit. Check to see that bus stops, rail lines and subways, if available, are all within easy access.
• Be sure crime statistics are low. City police department websites often publish them.
• Check the school test scores. If the school test scores are strong, home prices are high.
• Visit your target neighborhood during different times of the day. To get a realistic picture, return at night, on weekends and in the middle of the day during the week.
• Make sure that the neighborhood will suit your needs to at least five years.
• Look for signs of good change coming. Is there major economic development or a large-scale employer moving into the area? These are signs that good things are coming to the area.
Sam Lepore is a Realtor with Keller Williams in Moorestown, NJ. Call him today at 856.297.6827 ....